Sunday, April 26, 2015

Star Wars and Spanish?

Wow! It has been such a while since I've posted! There is so much information and resources I want to share with you!
My latest venture is being selected as part of a new program that Klein ISD has developed called Transform! Academy. We are "no-box" thinkers and have an amazing time collaborating and coming up with spectacular ideas for our classrooms.
They gave us some monies to us as we see fit to enhance our students' learning. Since my campus is a 1:1, I decided to focus on some unconventional technology as well as new furniture to create a cafe style atmosphere in my class. I am excited to receive all my collaboration technology and love the fact that KISD is so supportive.
I wanted to take a moment to chat with you on the different things you could do in your classes to make it fun and engaging. With the new Star Wars hype, it was so much fun to use the scene between Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker to explain ser vs estar. You could bring in light sabers and really get into the presentation of this. I use a scene clip without sound and we act it out.
Here's the poster in my class:
I also use travel posters when we do our travel unit of the various planets in the Star Wars movies. We have a discussion in Spanish as to which planet they would visit and why. I put together a short video that serves as a travel commercial to each one of the planets/locations in the ads. As we discuss each planet, I play the commercial for each The kids have so much fun and it is completely relevant to them. Using pop culture is one way to reach our students and make things interesting for them.
You can also take a photo and use Yakit to have them speak for the character in the photo/poster. It is a great way for students to use the language and have fun with it!
¡Que la fuerza te acompaƱe!

No comments:

Post a Comment